Monday, March 2, 2015

Day 2: Vacation Diet Pros and Cons

Welcome to my blog about making the vacation feeling last through regular daily living of work and chores.  I was back to the office today, since it is Monday morning.  It was the first morning I woke up feeling not rushed.

My plan last night was to be in bed by 9 PM.  I was actually getting to bed during my vacation between 9 and 10 and waking up at 7 AM.  This was quite  a nice surprise.  I enjoyed the slow quiet morning while everyone else slept.  I easily went to bed at an early hour during vacation and thought it would be nice to do that all the time.

So today I was awake at 6:30 AM.  I really didn't have to get up until 7 so I stayed in bed and thought about my goals for the morning.  I was up by 6:50 and starting morning chores.

One thing to note about going to bed early while on vacation: I had no chores to do.  We helped clean up the kitchen after dinner and that was about it.  I wasn't scurrying around the house like I do at home.

I tried to get to bed at a decent hour in the past but there was always one more thing to get done.  I had to clean the kitty litter, put the clothes in the dryer, wash the last few dishes, deposit checks with my tablet, get the trash ready for trash day, etc.  It becomes maddening.

When I get to bed late, I feel as if I have had no time to myself.  I like to read before bed.  I like to say the rosary while I am in bed.  I often talk to my son in his room before his eyes start to get heavy. Some nights I get very anxious about what I have to do the next day.  I usually feel this way on Sunday nights.

Do you relate to any of my "stressful complaints?"

I had a nice morning.  I did a 20 minute work out.  I made my son's lunch, and got my water bottles ready for work.  I started a load of laundry.  I kept it non-rushed.  And I felt calm.

I also did something different.  I started my Day #2 change.
I made breakfast but didn't eat it.
How odd is that?

On vacation, I ate too much at dinner.  This sounds so typical, right?  We grilled a couple of nights, ate out one night and I seemed to overeat.  I was off my routine and at times was crazy hungry.  Of course, that's no excuse to overeat, but that's what happened.

During the mornings I skipped breakfast because I still had that full feeling when I woke up.  I drank a lot of water.  I drank my favorite energy drink because it aids digestion, and I ate lunch around 12 or 1.

So, skipping breakfast was a good idea during vacation.  I also decided to do it today, as well.  This may sound corny but I don't like eating so early in the morning.  I have done it to fuel up, but my stomach feels too full.  It's not because I eat a large breakfast, but I don't think my stomach acid is ready to go that early in the morning.  I like eating around 10 AM when I have a real hunger feel, so today I made my bacon and eggs and packed them in my cooler for later.  I also had a small container of homemade Paleo cereal which I snacked on, as well.  (I'll talk about Paleo later)

Because I eat too quickly in the morning, I don't enjoy it and my stomach feels bloated and full.  Because I follow the ideas of the paleo/primal lifestyle, I thought waiting makes sense and it would help me feel less stressed.

I had a green drink while I exercised and then ate my breakfast at 9:30.  My schedule may not always allow this so flexibility is needed.  I also note that at the office I do more grazing.  I nibbled at my breakfast when I had a moment, so I was not rushed and not filling up quickly.  I am hoping this will help me get rid of my winter gut.

In summary of my first two days:

I don't need to add stress to my day.  Adequate sleeps is the first defense.  Simplifying the morning routine despite the necessary chores is certainly doable.

Now, it is almost time for bed.  I wanted to have some computer time before bed, so I kept myself busy once we got home.  We were home around 6:30.  Laundry was started soon enough, and I took care of my deposits and got the dishes done.
I felt focused.  Many past nights I feel like collapsing and procrastinated, This also contributed to my staying up late.

Tonight I am ready for bed by 8:15.  I am getting my son ready for his bath at 8:30 and we will be in bed by 9.

Did I worry and ruminate about my long day tomorrow?  Maybe I did two hours ago, but all I want to do now is turn out the lights relaxed, and calm.
And I think it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment